Keep your brain on track.
If you work from home like I do, you know it’s hard to keep focused. Heck, it’s hard to focus working anywhere! Phone, family, lunch, pets, laundry, Facebook, online sales at Old Navy, ooooo squirrel!
So, instead of getting lost in Creative Market (which is easy to do), I use a simple tool that keeps me focused and productive.
Errday. Whether I’m designing, coding or taking care of other business duties, using certain ambient sounds helps me work better and more creatively.
It’s all based on science.
Science people! The nerdy me thinks it’s cool, the down-to-business me doesn’t care as long as I’m being productive.
The first thing that comes to mind when I think of science is: She blinded me with science! You too? See distraction…
80’s pop science is awesomeness, true. But… real science, is even cooler. Here’s a short description of how noise works to help us focus from Coffitivity:
“According to a peer-reviewed study out of the University of Chicago, “A moderate level of ambient noise is conducive to creative cognition.” In a nutshell, this means being a tiny bit distracted helps you be more creative.”
My productivity secret weapon.
In order to keep my distracted brain on track, I use one of these scienfabulous tools.
All I do is open a new browser window, hit play and get to work.
- These are my favorites. Two were recently shared with me by another designer friend. Isn’t that nice? Everyone has distracted brain.
- Coffitivity – Has free and paid versions. This is my #1 go-to.
- Harry Potter Ambient Noise – Had to add this (new fav). Because, Harry Potter! (Thanks to Katie’s tip in the comments below!)
- Soundrown – Combine different sounds to make your perfect focusing tool. Coffee shop and beach sounds? Ok!
- Rainymood – Makes you want to curl up with your computer and get to work.
- Focus@Will – Free 30 trail. Use this link you can get 10% off a subscription.
Give it a try!
How do you stay focused? Please share and we’ll all be more productive! 🙂